Our Company Blog
The Damage that H20 Can Cause
According to Chimney Safety Institute of America water can do a lot to ruin your chimney. The damage is often not apparent to the naked eye until it the moisture has caused a great deal of damage. Chimney Care Co. want you to know if the health and safety of your household is at risk when neglected for certain periods of time. The functionality and performance of your fireplace and chimney is also dependent on how well they are cared for.
Water as the enemy.
Weather plays a big part of a chimney’s deterioration. Winter and rainy days result to hastened damage of what most chimneys are made of except stone. Many construction materials contract during the freezing and melting process causing the materials more exposure to brittleness. We know what happens to metal when exposed to water for long periods of time as well. It rusts and eventually breaks. Wooden parts of fireplaces also deteriorate faster when experiencing weather changes.
A water leak found anywhere around the household is never a good thing. Whatever the source, once water leakage is involved the amount of damage can range from mild to severe. According to Jeff Del Guercio, who is president of the local National Association of Home Inspectors, “Water is probably the single most destructive force to a house, and a leak can go on for a long time without being noticed.”
If leaks are left unattended, it can lead not only to damaging effects on your household members’ health but can also cause mold and termite infestations. In the long run such exposure to water can cause chimneys to wear out and fall apart which in the end will call for more costly repairs.
The question is, how do we avoid or address water damage?
It is important to note that proper chimney inspections be done on a regular basis. It is best to consult experts when dealing with waterproofing your fireplace. Of course this is a good preventive measure. It may cost you more if you don’t take such measures and wait until it’s totally damaged. Schedule an appointment and inquire now. People more knowledgeable will be more than thrilled to guide you through the process.
More and more each day we hear reports in the news about people dying from carbon monoxide poisoning. Of course these tragedies occur less frequently during the summer months but are all too common during the winter, especially when people first fire up their stoves or fireplaces in the fall. This is why Chimney Care Co. recommends performing any needed chimney maintenance in the summer before your chimney sweep’s schedule gets jam-packed.
If you’re not familiar with carbon monoxide beyond the rudimentary schooling you got when you learned about the periodic table in high school, you’ve come to the right place. In fact if you have a chimney, fireplace, and/or stove that you use even periodically, it’s even more important that you fully understand what carbon monoxide is and how to prevent it from venting into your living space. Awareness is the first step toward preventing what could be tremendous and irreversible tragedy.
“Not a day goes by that I don’t think of how easily their deaths could have been prevented,” says the relative of a family of four who died from carbon monoxide poisoning as the result of a blocked chimney flue.
About Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Carbon monoxide is called the “silent killer” because it is odorless, tasteless, and colorless; breathing it can kill you or cause the sudden onset of flu-like illness. Its familiar symptoms make it difficult to diagnose, and in fact people sometimes die in their sleep from CO2 poisoning without any forewarning.
CO2 poisoning happens rapidly because the human body mistakenly will begin to replace the oxygen in the body with the CO in the air, effectively blocking additional oxygen from getting in. Those who don’t die from CO2 exposure may suffer permanent brain or tissue damage.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, more than 400 Americans die from unintentional CO poisoning each year, more than 20,000 visit the ER, and more than 4,000 are hospitalized. Americans 65 and older are most likely to die from CO2 poisoning; infants are also more susceptible.
CO2 is created by combustion, which means that owners of fireplaces and stoves—both gas- and wood-burning—should be especially careful to ensure that their heating appliance is connected properly and venting correctly and that their chimney flu is not blocked by nests, debris, or the buildup of creosote.
How to Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
A chimney inspection conducted by a certified sweep should reveal any areas of concern. We also strongly recommend installation of a carbon monoxide detector. And, finally, awareness itself can be incredibly powerful.
If you live in southwestern Ohio or northern Kentucky and want to put your mind to rest about how safe your chimney or heating appliance is, contact Chimney Care Co. to schedule an appointment today.